Overview of Policies Governing the Release of Prisoners from Nevada Correctional Institutions

At least three months before your projected release date – whether by pardon or parole, the Director of the Nevada Prison may provide you with the option of one or two reentry programs so that you might search out and obtain employment. This may also include programs that might provide bonding for you so you can secure employment or helping you find organizations which may employ you or otherwise provide bonding.

Before the end of your sentence, the Director might offer you and your friends and family with mediation services that provide you with psychological, emotional, and financial support.

On the day of release, you’ll receive:

  • Up to $100 based upon your economic need;
  • Notice of the laws describing the requirements, procedures, and additional statutes you must now abide by that are found in chapter 179C of the Nevada State Statutes and of NRS 202.357 and NRS 202.360, which prohibits you (under certain circumstances) from using and owning a stun gun or firearm. You must sign this notice;
  • Notice of the NRS 179.245, telling you how to get your records sealed and:
  • Notice of NRS 213.090, which informs you about the restoration of your civil rights if you received an unconditional pardon and what to do if you lose the document, or
  • Notice of NRS 213.155, which explains how your rights will be returned after discharge from parole, or
  • Notice of NRS 213.157, which explains the restoration of your rights at the end of your sentence.
  • May provide suitable clothing;
  • May provide transportation costs for you to get home – anywhere in the continental US or the place you were convicted;
  • May release you to a licensed transitional living facility for released offenders;
  • You’ll have to submit to at least one HIV test;
  • A photo ID issued by the Department of Corrections if you request it;
  • Information related to obtaining your identification card or driver’s license from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV); and
  • Reasonable assistance in obtaining them. You must supply the necessary proofs of your identity to the Director before he can give you the Department ID or help you get your driver’s license or valid state ID. These list of valid proofs, included in NRS 483.290 and NRS 483.860, include:
  1. A valid US birth certificate, including any issued by a political subdivision of a state, DC, or any territory of the US;
  2. A valid US driver’s license that has been issued by any state, DC, or any US territory that’s approved by the US Department of Homeland Security;
  3. A United States Government-issued passport;
  4. A military ID card issued by the US Armed Forces;
  5. A military dependent ID card issued by the US Armed Forces;
  6. A report of separation from any branch of the US Armed Forces;
  7. A Certificate of Degree of Alaskan or Indian Native Blood that has been US-issued;
  8. A Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Permanent or Temporary Resident Card that’s issued by the “US Citizenship and Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security”;
  9. A Department of State-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  10. An adoption decree;
  11. A marriage certificate;
  12. A divorce decree;
  13. A court order that officially changes his or her name; or
  14. By any TWO of the following:

A valid driver’s license that has been issued by any US state, DC, or any US territory that’s not approved by the US Department of Homeland Security according to 6 C.F.R. § 37.17;

  1. A foreign government-issued passport;
  2. A foreign government-issued birth certificate;
  3. A Mexican Government-issued consular ID card or a document issued by another foreign government that the Department of Corrections determines is substantially similar; or
  4. Any proof the Department deems as acceptable.

**All documents must be in English.

Notification to the DMV

Top Rated Criminal Lawyer

Nick Wooldridge has a long track record of representing clients accused of serious federal and state crimes in Nevada.


If your license was merely revoked, the Director will notify the DMV when you’re released from prison or released to residential confinement.

Have You Been Charged with a Crime? Take Action and Contact an Experienced Las Vegas Criminal Defense Lawyer

If you or a loved one has been charged with a crime in Las Vegas, now is the time to take action by contacting an experienced, skilled and respected criminal defense attorney in Las Vegas.  This is why it makes sense to reach out to LV Criminal Defense. Our talented legal team is ready to assist you in your time of need. We stand ready to take on the tough cases in both state and federal courts in Nevada. Contact our firm today by calling 702-623-6362 to schedule a confidential, no-cost case review.